- Reading aloud, with normal accent, and at a speed of 30 words a minute,
a simple passage on a topic of interest to the learner.
- Silent reading at 35 words a minute, of small paragraphs in simple
- Reading with understanding the road signs, posters, simple instructions and newspapers/broadsheets designed for neo-literates.
- Ability to follow simple written passages relating to one's working and living environment.
- Copying, with understanding, 7 words a minute.
- Taking dictation at 5 words a minute.
- Writing with proper spacing and alignment.
- Writing independently, short letters and applications, and filling in forms of day-to-day use to the learner.
- Reading and writing numerals 1-100.
- Doing simple calculations (without fraction) involving addition and subtraction up to 3 digits, and multiplication and division by 2 digits.
- Working knowledge of metric units weights, measures currency, distance, area and unit of time.
- Broad idea of proportion and interests (not involving fractions) and their use in practical situations.