- As per 2001 census the literacy rate Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
was 54.69% and 47.10% respectively
- Literacy rate of SC females compared to general population was much lower
in the states of Bihar(15.58%),Jharkhand(22.55%),Uttar
Pradesh(30.50%) and Rajasthan(33.87%)
- Literacy rate of ST females is extremely low in
- As per 2001 census the literacy rate was lowest for SCs in
and highest in Mizoram(89.20%)and for STs it was lowest in
and highest in Mizoram(89.34%)
- Literacy rate of STs was more than the SCs in the states of
Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Sikkim.
- In general the SCs were ahead of the STs in literacy. But in urban areas
the STs are ahead of SCs.
- The percentage of learners of SCs and STs under literacy Campaigns are
and 12% respectively.
- The share of expendicture in implementation of literacy campaigns between
the centre and states in tribal areas is 4:1 instead 2:1 in other areas.